World Kindness Day 2017
Did you know World Kindness Day UK will be celebrated on the 13th November 2017. That’s in a few days time ! So what is World Kindness Day ? Well, its a day to promote kindness and is a way to unite people globally in the same cause. Personally I think it would be great if we could all be kind every day, but at least this day might start to make people aware of the positive effects of been kind to one another. Schools, organisations, businesses and individuals are all encouraged to take part in some form or other. Many organisations choose to tie up their act of kindness with a specified charity and raising money for them at the same time.
So what is kindness and how can we incorporate it into our lives ? Here in the UK we have had many sad events over recent years such as terrorist attacks, natural disasters and terrible accidents. It has been refreshing to see individual acts of kindness during these horrific events as people pull together to help and support those in need. As a nation we certainly know how to be strong for others that are weaker than ourselves, and this coming together in unity for a common cause is historically known as the Great British Bulldog Spirit.
There has recently been a push in promoting kindness in other areas of life not associated with trauma or disaster. Been kind is something we can all do in every day life, and it not only helps the recipient of our kindness but we feel good about ourselves too. Just one kind act a day is all it takes to create a better world for us all, and it really can be something as simple as holding a door open for someone, or giving up your seat on a busy train.
So I thought I would give you a few ideas of simple ways to be kind to someone. I promise you, if you just do one kind act a day, then not only will you feel better in yourself but the very act of kindness can actually become contagious. Once we see kind actions and compassionate acts, then it inspires us to follow suit and start our own campaign of kindness.
So here are a few ideas I had about promoting kindness.
- Start telling those close to you that you love them, appreciate them and are glad they are in your life. You can do this verbally, or why not send a little card and write a heartfelt sentiment to them. It is too easy to take our loved ones for granted in the middle of our busy lives. But we should never be too busy to say ‘I Love You’
- Why not do something proactive for those less fortunate ? Why not start a food donation box and put in just one item of food ( non perishable) or toiletries each day. Then after a month simply take the box to your local food bank. I cannot tell you how happy they will be to receive your kind gift and it is so easy to do.
- If you see a homeless person in the street, instead of rushing past, why don’t you go buy him / her a coffee and a sandwich ? You don’t have to spend much money, as you can get a burger meal with a hot drink from Mac Donald’s for around £3.
- Why not pay someone a compliment at least once a week ? It is so easy to do and you might just make someone’s day who may have been feeling a little low, or perhaps suffering from low self esteem. Go on, just tell your friend how lovely her new hair cut is, or tell your husband how handsome he looks in that new jumper.
- Do you find yourself with road rage when you are rushing to get somewhere ? Why not make a pledge with yourself to be calm when driving and to let people pull out in front of you when they are trying to get out of a busy junction. Yes, you will reach your destination a couple of minutes later, but unless you have an expectant mother in the front seat of your car in active labour, then does it really matter if you are just a few minutes late ?
- Do you travel on a busy train or bus every morning where everyone fights for the limited seats available ? Why not decide to give up your seat just once a week to someone who looks like they need the seat more than you ? You never know how much that small act of kindness might mean to the weary young woman who has been up all night with her sick child.
- Have you heard of Love On The Rocks ? It is a new idea that is sweeping across the UK at the moment. Basically you paint a rock or large pebble and write on a positive message. Then you leave the rock around town for someone else to find it and take home. I have just bought my paints and am hoping to get mine out soon ! So if you are in Knaresborough keep a look out !
- Another variation of the idea above is to buy a bunch of flowers and pop on a card saying ‘Take me home’. Then simply place the flowers on a park bench or next to a lamp post and your gift will be picked up by a complete stranger. Who knows, you may just make that person happy again after they have had a difficult day.
- Why not look into volunteering if you have some free time on your hands ? Sometimes offering just an hour a month to a charity can really make a difference to someones life.
- Lastly BE KIND TO YOURSELF. We are often so busy leading frantic lives that we forget to care for ourselves. This can have a negative effect on our physical and mental health. So remember to take time for yourself. Find relaxation time, take a long hot bubble bath and eat nice food. If you are kind to yourself then you will find it is easier to be kind to others.
For more information on Kindness Day UK please visit their website at http://www.kindnessuk.com
I hope this post has given you lots to think about. Have you got any more ideas for promoting acts of kindness ? Has someone been kind to you unexpectedly ?
Until next time dear friends