How Nature Can Help You Get Rid Of Negative Emotions
We all suffer from negative emotions at some point in our life. It is part of our human nature to sometimes feel negatively about a situation that is happening to us. I think it is important that we don’t make ourselves feel worse by feeling guilty about having such feelings. It is healthier to accept the feelings and try find gentle ways of reducing the impact on our life. I wrote a previous blog on other ways to help improve your mental health. Click here to read that post.
As you know I am a passionate nature lover and I believe the outdoors can really help calm a stressed out body and mind. Nature is a great healer and the value it has on our health is often underestimated. So I thought I would share an easy way that you can use nature to help disperse those negative thoughts.
- Take a walk into some green space. Try and find somewhere quiet where you will not be disturbed. If you live in a town or you can’t get to any rural space, then a local park or even your own garden will do.
- Find a leaf, blade of grass or small bird’s feather and hold it in the palm of your hand.
- Quietly recall the situation that is causing you to think negatively. Think about what changes you want to happen. Really get in touch with your feelings around this negative situation that you want to be rid of.
- Keep visualising the situation and blow the object off your hand and watch it intently as it floats away. Make a conscious thought of saying ‘goodbye’ to the negative situation that you were desperate to get rid of.
- You may want to have a little cry too. Negative thinking can suppress our emotions and crying is a great release and healer. Crying can help us move forward and we often feel instantly better after a good cry.
- You may want to repeat this every day for a few weeks if the situation is a difficult one and is causing you strong negative emotions.
The simple act of actually watching the leaf or feather float away tells your subconscious mind that your difficulties are drifting away and are no more. This visualisation really can work on all types of situations which are causing us anguish.
Why not try it and see if it works for you? And let me know in the comments how it felt for you.
Until next time, keep safe and take care.